If you look down past the mini roundabout, you’ll see the old red-brick Baptist Chapel on Lord Roberts Road, formerly the home of East Riding Archives, but now the venue for the fabulous East Riding Theatre . But before this building there was another Baptist Chapel, which you can see in our archive image in this striking comparison with the modern scene. Here it is on Well Lane just before demolition in 1909 and the construction of Lord Roberts Road.
That’s the end of the trail! Why not pop into the Treasure House for some refreshments and to see what it has to offer? (Go straight on and turn right at the mini roundabout. Use the zebra crossing to cross over the street and turn right to head into the Treasure House building).
Perhaps more closely resembling a bandstand, the Georgian Market Cross to the left in the background was built 1711-1714 by Theophilus Shelton’s architectural design. In 1293, the Archbishop of York claimed to hold a market here on a Saturday, and it has remained ever since, although initially it was known as the Corn Market until the 16th Century.
Taking in this view of Butcher Row in our archive image from 1900, it’s clear that the pace of life was much more sedate back then. This street, pedestrianised in 1981, unsurprisingly takes its name from the number of butchers that used to trade here. Today, only one remains (near Wednesday Market), but until recently a butcher’s shop was also located in the building with the flagpole, to the left on this archive image.
Looking across at the market square, the most striking difference between the present scene and our archive image is the Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was built in 1825 at a cost of £700 and held a congregation of 400. In 1903, fifty of its members joined the Passive Resistance League, and by 1907 there were still eighteen members making half yearly court appearances and having their property seized! This image was taken in 1908 and the building was demolished around 1957.
On 27th February 1909 the Archbishop of York, Dr Cosmo Gordon Lang, made his first visit to Beverley. This archive image shows his arrival at the railway station, where his carriage awaits. He would go on to become Archbishop of Canterbury in 1928, and was widely rebuked for his strong moral stance on the Edward VIII abdication crisis in 1936. Dr Lang also presided over the coronation of King George VI. Who knows what other interesting personalities have graced the entrance to this station!
A large scale development of housing began on this road after the First World War, in response to a major problem of overcrowding in the town. The street looks immaculate in this archive image from the early 1900s.
As we reach the eastern end of the shopping precinct, this aerial image gives an overview of the tannery site on which the Flemingate Shopping Centre now stands.
Here we are in the fantastic new shopping precinct at Flemingate , where you can experience fashion, food, and film, but who would have thought that this leisurely scene was once a hive of industry? As the archive image shows, this used to be the site of Hodgson’s Tannery. It started out under William Hodgson in 1812 and became incorporated as Richard Hodgson and Sons in 1889. The business flourished at its site on Flemingate, importing hides from across the world, including Spain, Holland, Germany, Argentina, South Africa, and Russia.
The dilapidated building in our archive image is thought to be 15th/16th Century, once containing shops and the workshop of Richard Leng, engineer and machinist. It was demolished in 1912, shortly after this picture was taken, to be replaced by the Constitution Hall, a local community venue, which itself has now been replaced by modern apartment premises.
(Our trail begins in the shadow of Beverley Minster, near the junction of St John Street and Minster Moorgate. Use ‘View on map’ from the trail’s homepage to reach point ‘1’ and the start of the trail).
Notice how the trees, newly planted in our archive image of 1908, have grown to slightly obscure the contemporary view of the splendid Beverley Minster. However, thankfully, the building remains unchanged! The Minster has its origins in the founding of a monastery on or near this site by St John of Beverley around 700AD. He died in 721 and his bones lie buried beneath a plaque in the nave.