War Memorial and High Street

Skipton War Memorial was unveiled on the 8th April 1922 by children whose fathers had died in the war, the girls wearing their fathers’ medals.  The monument was designed by architect James Henry Sellers.

John Cassidy, a Manchester based sculptor, was commissioned to execute and erect the Monument which stands at six metres. At the top is a bronze figure of ‘Winged Victory’ and at the base is a nude man, modelled in the act of breaking a sword.