Tower Of The Town

(Our trail begins on Swinegate, just behind the Hessle Centre.  Use ‘View on map’ from the trail’s homepage to reach point ‘1’ and the start of the trail).

Looking along Swinegate , towards the junction with Southgate, the spire of All Saints Church is clearly visible in the historic image of 1900. The earliest reference to the church is in the Domesday Book of 1086 and this building has formed the centrepiece around which the town has grown from a population of a few hundred in medieval times, to 15,000 in the present day!).  Until 1661, this was the mother church of Holy Trinity in Hull (now Hull Minster), and until 1301 this meant that anyone who died in Hull had to be brought to Hessle for burial.