(Our trail begins on Beverley Road, facing towards the town centre, just past the mini roundabout and the Red Lion pub on the right-hand side, opposite some restaurants. Use ‘View on map’ from the trail’s homepage to reach point ‘1’ and the start of the trail).
The building on the left-hand side of this image, with rounded windows, is the Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1902 to the design of architect W G Smithson of Leeds.
Our archive image was taken around the time of its opening, but this was actually the third version of the chapel. The original chapel was built in 1828, then re-built in 1860, only for it to be replaced again by the 1902 version, which still stands to this day.