The Locomotive ‘Cuthbert’

There were several different quarry operators including Hearfield’s and Marshall’s.

In 1913 these companies were joined by cement manufacturers G. & T. Earle Ltd. Earle’s established an internal standard gauge railway system in the quarry which carried quarried rock from the cliff face to a crushing plant on this spot, from there the chalk was conveyed by a belt elevator to a silo.

Beneath the silo were railway wagons that transported the chalk along the mainline Earle’s Wilmington cement works in Hull.