The Champney Bequest

Our archive image shows the opening of Beverley Public Library here on 8th August 1906. It was funded by local philanthropist John Edward Champney, whose passion for art and culture led to the bequest of his private book collection (now preserved in the Archives) and several artworks (held at the Art Gallery) in 1929.

Following the addition of the Art Gallery in 1910, and the Reference Library in 1928, the latest development was the opening of the Treasure House on 1st January 2007, just over 100 years since the opening of Beverley Library.