St. Mary’s Chapel (circa 1900)

An Anglican chapel of ease was built here in 1864 to serve the growing community of quarry and mill workers. It was paid for by subscription and cost £68 9 shillings and 1 pence.

The chapel appears to have ceased its religious function prior to the Second World War and in 1946 it was used as a meeting room by a group of Hessle Sea Scouts. The chapel’s bell which can be seen in this photograph is now in All Saints Church in Hessle.