Skipton Co-Op, Swadford Street

Skipton Industrial Co-operative Society was established in 1861, with the central stores and offices in Swadford Street. Over the years the Swadford Street premises were extended, and in 1928 the society purchased, demolished and rebuilt Swadford House, which can be seen in this photo.

The photo was probably taken in the 1970s, prior to yet another rebuild in 1979, when it became Sunwin House. The Co-Op left Skipton in April 2012, and is much missed.