Ship Corner, named after the Ship Hotel, has a long history dating back to the 18th century. The name first appeared in the 1773, and it is speculated that the original beer house was frequented by navvies who worked on the Leeds Liverpool Canal.
The ‘Ship’ was knocked down and rebuilt in 1888 to widen the road. This photo shows the ‘Ship Hotel’ in its glory years in the early 20th century. The hotel was closed in 1924 and converted into shops and flats.