Saturday Market

Perhaps more closely resembling a bandstand,  the Georgian Market Cross to the left in the background  was built 1711-1714 by Theophilus Shelton’s architectural design.  In 1293, the Archbishop of York claimed to hold a market here on a Saturday, and it has remained ever since, although initially it was known as the Corn Market until the 16th Century.