Royal Prince’s Parade (1914)

Prince’s Parade (‘Royal’ was added in 1888 when Price Albert Victor visited) was created when the sea wall was built in 1867 and became the place for ‘promenading’.

This image shows the ornate entrance gates opposite Cliff Street – entry was not free then! Behind the Floral Pavilion and bandstand is the Grand Pavilion, built in 1906, and now the site of a funfair. The leisure centre has replaced Fort Hall in the middle of this photograph.