Railway Underpass (circa 1900)

Underpasses were built to allow access between the quarry and foreshore following the construction of the Hull and Selby Railway, which opened in 1840.

Although the line ran directly through the quarry, the site wasn’t connected to rail until 1913 when G. & T. Earle commenced quarrying operations. Until this time, quarried chalk left here almost entirely via the Humber estuary.