By the 1880s, shops were replacing the earlier houses and paddocks. In 1869 the ‘temporary’ wooden chalet shops, known as Cheapside, were built. They were still there when this picture was taken in 1907.
One occupant was George Holden, a maker of artificial teeth! In the far distance can be seen the spire of Holy Trinity church. In the middle on the right is the Congregational church’s turret (now part of the pub), with the United Methodist Free Church on the left.