North Pier

The Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club held its first regatta here in the harbour in 1904, around the time when this tinted picture was taken.  We now preserve some records for the club at East Riding Archives in Beverley.

The tall, red-brick building in the background was the ‘Old Town Hall’ (also known as Royal Victoria Rooms), which was built in 1847 but destroyed by fire on 22nd September 1933.  Thanks to the efforts of police, and resident Kathleen Hackett, no lives were lost in the blaze.