Here, the modern view has been dominated by Prince’s Quay Shopping Centre since the early 1990s, but back in 1900, when this archive image was taken, it was Prince’s Dock, where many fishing trawlers were fitted out by C D Holmes Ltd. Sitting just behind the dock is the Church of St John The Evangelist, which opened in 1793 as a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity (now Hull Minster). By 1917, the church had fallen into disuse and was bought by Sir Thomas Ferens, who donated money for the church to be demolished and an art gallery constructed in its place (present day Ferens Art Gallery).
That’s the end of the trail! Why not visit Hull Central Library to find out more about the city? Re-trace steps back to Prince’s Quay Shopping Centre, and cross into Victoria Square. Go straight on down King Edward Street and on into Prospect Street. Turn right down Albion Street, and Hull Central Library is just opposite.