High Street from Ship Corner in the 1960s. Althams is now further up the High Street, at number 43, just by the turn off to Otley Street.
Althams was founded in 1874 by Abraham Altham selling groceries and fancy goods. Before that, Althams was on Swadford Steet. They have branches in Craven and Pendle. By 1967 the firm became purely a travel agent.