Hessle Whiting Mill (1905)

Also known as ‘Black Mill’ or ‘Cliff Mill’, Hessle Whiting Mill was built around 1810 and was designed to crush chalk from the nearby quarry to produce whiting, a purified powdered form of chalk that was used in paints and putty.

The mill, which replaced an earlier horse mill built in 1795, had its cap and sails removed in 1925, thereafter it was powered by an engine. This view shows the mill and the whiting works that were attached to the tower.