Civic Centre

The town of Scarborough dates all the way back to 1163, when King Henry II founded a Royal Borough here.  This building has been in use as the town hall since 1903, but before that the site had been occupied by the house of John Woodall, who offered the land to the Corporation following the death of his father in 1879. This archive image was taken in 1905, just two years after the town hall opened, and the monument to Queen Victoria in its gardens remains the only statue in the town that depicts a public figure!