A Queen, Commemorated

Back in 1767, this area was known as Swine Market, but in 1871 it officially became Market Street (or Market Square) and is still known as such.  This archive image was taken shortly after the construction of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee memorial (centre) in 1897 and was colourised at the time for visual effect.  Notice that the orb, which topped the memorial, has since been replaced with a lamp, and what was once a fairly open and spacious area now feels much more congested.