A New Beginning

With the sea defences at Hornsea’s North Cliff sustaining some major damage during a storm in 1905, the Hornsea Urban District Council rebuilt them in 1906-1907 and at the same time renovated the area around Victoria Gardens, complete with a brand new promenade for visitors to take in the sea air.  Our archive image shows the great gathering on 6th July 1907 as people assembled for the promenade’s opening in the area that is now occupied by the bowling green.