A ‘Mere’ Garden

Nowadays, this is known as ‘Valley gardens’, but at its opening in 1910 it was called ‘Promenade Gardens’.  Here, the archive image shows these beautiful gardens shortly after the official opening.

This feature was once occupied by a mere (lake), but coastal erosion caused it to drain, allowing for the skilful landscaping of the remaining lake bed, which continues to serve as a popular open-air venue for the town.