A Flat And Chapel

To the right in our archive image from 1911 is the former United Free Methodist Chapel (previously occupied by the Primitive Methodists from 1857-1909).  It has since been demolished and replaced by modern–day flats on Orchard Drive.

It’s not known exactly why a barrier has been placed across the street in this image, but it’s likely to have been to regulate traffic for some form of civic event such as celebrations for the Coronation of King George V (which took place on 22nd June 1911).